This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite blogs, Steamy Kitchen.While the original recipe called for the use of browned butter, I substituted it with gluten-free vegan 'butter' and it worked out perfectly. If it tasted so good with vegan 'butter', I am pretty sure it will have tasted even better with the real deal. For those who do not have any dietary restrictions, do feel free to use butter:) This is my new favorite way of cooking green beans; it's simple, quick and tasty, just like all my other favorites.
'Butter' Green Beans with Cashew Nuts
Inspired by Jaden from Steamy Kitchen
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
- 300g green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used Nuttelex, a vegan spread)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast chopped nuts in a pan over medium heat for about 5 mins until nuts are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil over medium heat. Blanch green beans by boiling it in water for 3 mins, then rinsing it immediately with cold water to stop the cooking process. The beans should be crispy and crunchy, rather than soggy.
- Add the 'butter' to a heated pan (over medium heat), and let the 'butter' melt and bubble. Once the butter melts, add onions and garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and the green beans. Stir to make sure beans are well coated with balsamic vinegar and 'butter'.
- Season with salt and pepper (I love adding lots of pepper). Stir in toasted nuts. Enjoy!
What is your favorite green bean recipe?